Sunday, August 4, 2019

My hair-raising experience in Zanzibar- by Manav








My mummy nagged and nagged about how my hair has gotten all long and shaggy. She was right. Oh ok..I’ll get a haircut. She said it would be fun and cheap. 
So we were in this very small village near the beach in northern Zanzibar. I was happily playing with my newest friends, Haroun and Sami. They didn’t speak English and I didn’t know Swahili or Arabic, so we mostly drew in the sand and used sign language. We had so much fun jumping on the hammock. Haroun’s dad works at the hotel we stayed in and his mother brought him and his friend Sami there every evening. 

Oh well,
 back to my hair story...so my highly annoying sister, mummy and me walked outside and asked someone where a haircut place was. We met someone called Charles who had a Tuk Tuk and he said he could take us to the Saloon and back for 2 dollars. We looked around for his tuk tuk, which we all thought was another name for an auto rickshaw but could not see one..Mr. Charles was referring to his two wheeler scooter as a tuk tuk!!! So there we were all four of us on one tiny scooter, riding through the dirt roads that were bit flooded by some rain that morning in search of a barber....the one we found was called Chaddi Hair Saloon!!! Only if you all knew what chaddi meant.hehehe. 

The barber, Salawat was very nice. He kept his saloon really clean. No shoes were allowed inside. He got cutting and my mummy started chatting, as always. Next thing I know, mummy looks at me a d says to Sarawak...enough, enough.”! No more short!!!! He had almost taken off all my hair!! My bangs were gone!! Oh well, it’s just hair. Mummy says my hair grows back soon. The haircut costed us 5,000 bucks!!! 5,000!!! Ok ok..that was in Tanzanian shillings. It costed us about 2 dollars. We had a nice ride back on the scooter. Byeeeeeeee for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment