Thursday, July 25, 2019

We crossed the line (literally)!


The last few days in Uganda, until we return in about 10 days was truly fascinating. 

One day, we went to the ‘see’ the equator. 

En route, we were introduced to the best and ubiquitous Ugandan street food- Rolleggs. At first I thought they were referring to some glittery watch brand. But it’s just a chapatti wrapped around a two-egg omelette.  It costed 1500 Ugandan shillings (40 US cents), and fed both my children a pretty healthy meal! I did save the pili-pili version for myself. Pili Pili turns out to be my first words in the Bantu language of Lugandan (principallly spoken in UG but also in other countries along Lake Victoria, I believe. Any guesses what pili-pili could mean? Chillies!!!

Speaking of languages, English is the lingua Franca of most people and is widely spoken along with 150 other tribal languages. 

Anyway, coming back to the line crossing...Manali and Mnav were pretty excited to go to the equator and be south of it. Although technically, they have been south when we traveled to Seychelles about 4 -5 years ago, this will be more memorable, I think. 

The ‘equator’ was just a pull-out on a 2-lane road. A few shops selling some excellent locally-made handicrafts, including wooden mortars, ‘I was here’ magnets, gorgeous Kenyan beaded jewelry that I went berserk on, and Congolese masks, which also I went berserk on!

This was a great place for children to learn about some science...magnetism, true north, and how weather is opposite in the two hemispheres, etc. 

We even had a local Smart Alec demonstate to the kids the Coriolis Effect- essentially the urban legend that the direction of the toilet water swirl you see is determined by the hemisphere you are in. 

While true, it’s not as conspicuous as our Smart Alec friend showed us using flower found nearby. It still was his way to make a quick buck and for my children to be wonder stuck and excited about science!

All in all, I’m happy to report that all things being equator, we did not end up In the doldrums!

Another couple of days were spent  to a charming little town called Jinja- the historic source of the mighty Nile River. I saw it last in Egypt almost 15 years ago when I spent time there working on my thesis. In Jinja, the Nile is much smaller and much wilder-looking. Tilapia fisherman in canoes, Weaver birds on its banks, and beautiful grass thatched roof round structures kept the kids and me enthralled. We spent a night camping on the banks of the river, being woken up with the most beautiful whistles of song birds...I even got the most picturesque spot for a massage! 

Until we meet soon, Uganda..you were such a wonderful surprise!! Thank you dear Sakina and family for your hospitality. The Bugunda crafts market...you...you..how could you make me spend all my money??!!

And we are off to our next leg of our journey- Tanzania!!!















1 comment: